This was a 2 week project I worked on with an entrepreneur based out of Toronto.  We worked together via Skype, and constructed the User Experience for his mobile application.  I was the lead UX designer, and walked him through the my process.  This is a brief case study of my experience.

THe Challenge 

These days entrepreneurs who sell on Shopify, Etsy, and Amazon have evolved their methods for market research.  Usually they do not have access to complete platform datasets about indicating what sells and what does not.  Thus, they rely on creative ways to find out what is trending.  When performing product and market research, people search online and leverage Keywords and Hashtags to inform their next product. 

How can we create a mobile experience to help people sift through the internet to find trending Hashtags?

Product Description

Hashtag is a mobile application that allows people to search for trending hashtags on major social media platforms such as Twitter, Instagram and, Facebook.  

My Role

UX Designer


Chuk an entrepreneur who hired me for the project


Market Researchers for Shopify e-commerce Businesses

Tech-Savvy people who are interesting in social media trends


Starting with Information Architecture

I was tasked to redesign this hashtag application.  Before getting started, I had constructed the layout of the app with the client to help identify the pain points of the application.  It was important to begin here in this situation so we are both able to be on the same page, and understand the big picture of the app.  

App Map.png

User Flow

Next, I talked with the stakeholder of this app, and based on my interview we created this user flow. I found that most tasks were not designed yet, and this gave me the freedom to define how users would perform each task.  My goal was to keep each step simple, and designed with the end user in mind, so I went through multiple iterations of each path before designing a screen.


I began creating wireframes for the app.  Rough ideas were created by my stakeholder, so I tried to improve his design idea.  


Quick user testing on 5 people

I was a bit pressed on time with this project, but no worries. I tested my screens often with people that best represent the users the stakeholder had mentioned.  

I performed preference tests on the variations of the trend pages, and click tests with the first version of the prototype.  One of the hardest parts were figuring out how users would view multiple tags of a post.  For example, if a post on instagram used 100 hashtags how would I display this on the page?  I needed to keep limited screen space in mind, so I tested a few variations.  In addition, I needed to properly display what type of media this post come from, and what social media it was sourced from.

The concentration of the tests centered around pain points on the tags post page.  I had to clearly indicate the main functionality of the hashtag buttons within the posts.  In addition, I needed to improve how users could see more tags of the post.  I ran preference tests on expand and contract variations, just in case somebody used 100 hashtags.   That way there could be consistency in terms of post sizes, and reduce information overload.


I had made necessary iterations to the key screens, performed one final click tests and pushed the result out to the stakeholder for review.  We had one final session for feedback, and I made revisions once more.  Below is the clickable prototype.



Help people easily find posts based off a tag

From multiple sources Help people easily find posts based off a tag

Follow multiple tags at once

Connect to social media posts

Connect your social media accounts

See data visualizations of trending posts